In 1944, Dr. Bebe Patten and her husband, C. Thomas Patten, conducted evangelistic services in the Bay Area. For nineteen weeks, thousands of people filled the Oakland Auditorium Arena (now the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center) seeking purpose and meaning for their lives. In response to several hundred men and women answering a call to active Christian service, Dr. Patten founded the Oakland Bible Institute and the Christian Evangelical Churches of America, Inc.
(CECA), that establishes churches and ordains men and women to the ministry. Both entities are 501 (c) (3), non-profit California corporations.The School and Church continued for several years at its initial location, 1428 Alice Street, and in 1950 moved to Telegraph Avenue. There it continued to graduate men and women who entered the ministry and other areas of Christian service. The move to the present campus on Coolidge Avenue in 1960 was a significant milestone in the growth and progress of the Church and college. Later, this move was highlighted by the adoption by the Board of Trustees of the name Patten University and the expansion of academic programs and degree offerings. Christian Cathedral, the CECA headquarters church located on the Patten University campus, Oakland, CA.